The Cougar Crier

Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

During the month of October, JFK High School participated in its annual “Spirit Week.”  Every day during this special week at school, students dress up for different themes to show off their school spirit.  For example, this year’s schedule was as follows:

• Monday – Pajama Day
  • Tuesday – Neon Day
  • Wednesday – Western Day
  • Thursday – Costume Day
  • Friday – Blackout for Homecoming

At the end of each day points are tallied up per class. The class with the highest number of points win. This year, the class that won spirit week were the freshman.  

Some students stood out amongst the crowd. For example, one of the most memorable costumes this year was a gigantic dinosaur from Jurassic Park!  The teachers even took part in costume day. The science department dressed up as different Disney characters with science chairperson Mr. Soel dressed as “Sorcerer Mickey.” The math department stood out in their yellow t-shirts and dressed up as “Average Joes” (dodgeball players). The social studies department dressed up as beatniks from the late 1950s. Spirit Week was definitely a success!

On October 20th, John F. Kennedy High School had its annual homecoming festival and football game. Many students, teachers, and families came out to show their Cougar pride.  Some even dressed in specific homecoming t-shirts sold by student government. Spirit Week would lead up to Kennedy’s homecoming game.

Homecoming started off with a huge bonfire on the baseball field. Many students gathered around the fire to warm up and take some awesome pictures. Along with the bonfire, Kennedy High School also had a dunk tank where students had the opportunity to dunk physics teacher Mr. Lella! These activities were a great start to the night. Later, crowds of people gathered on the bleachers to watch the Kennedy Cougars play against the Jericho Jayhawks.  

A new homecoming tradition has started: one lucky student raffle winner now has the opportunity to take two friends onto the football field to sit on a couch at the end zone during the homecoming game while getting served food! A special thank you to the CHAMP Program for providing and making the food that was served to these lucky raffle winners as well as to all of the people who attended the football game.  

During halftime, Kennedy’s varsity kickline team performed their routine in front of the lively crowd. After their routine was finished, the winners of Homecoming King and Queen were announced. This year’s homecoming King and Queen winners were Matt Baker and Chloe Demetriades. The other nominees were Lucas Rosen, Ben Birke, and Jason Beris and Skylar Hasseck, Andrea Lindner, and Sam Rosenberg.  

In the end, Kennedy High School won the football game with a final score of 35-6. It was a great night for Cougar Nation!

• Cougar News

Ladles of Love

• Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

Cougar News

Costume Contest Winners

• Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

Sports

A Season for the Ages

• Cougar News

Ladles of Love

• Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

Cougar News

Kennedy Welcomes Middle School Basketball

• Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

Cougar News

It Feels Good to Do Good

• Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

Cougar News

Kids at Kennedy

• Opinion

Cell Phones in the Classroom

• Pop Culture

Call of Duty: WW2 Review

• Pop Culture

History of Halloween

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week