The Cougar Crier

The Trend That’s Come to an End

Jake Arlia, Contributor

Many of us on social media know about Sarahah and its explosion of popularity that spread across the school, but what even is Sarahah? What was its original purpose, and is it such a good idea for us to use?

Sarahah (pronounced suh-RAH-hah) is an app that lets people send users messages anonymously. Anyone can write on someone’s Sarahah website unless the person puts it on private, which means that the person writing must also have a Sarahah account. People are expected to write compliments and suggestions in the little white box under the words that state, “Leave a constructive message :).”

The app was created by a man named Zain al-Abidin Tawfiq in 2016. Tawfiq is a developer in Saudi Arabia, and the social networking site was originally in the Arabic language. In fact, “sarahah” is an Arabic term that roughly translates to “frankness” or “honesty.”

Interestingly, the app’s target users were meant to be adults in the workplace. Sarahah’s purpose was to be a site where co-workers would give feedback to their bosses anonymously.

But…then it spread to schools.

Being anonymous gives people power, but too much power has its drawbacks.”

Sarahah’s massive increase in teen users was due to another social media app, Snapchat, and its July 5, 2017 update. This update allowed people to send or post pictures linked to a website. The recipient(s) of the snap could swipe up the picture and be brought to a webpage. After the update, people began to add the link to their Sarahah website to their snaps.

After three days of this update being instated, Sarahah jumped to the top 1,500 apps in Apple’s App Store. Four days after this, it was ranked 104th most popular. Only a few days after its initial spike, Sarahah was at number one. It left
other social media apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat all in the dust.

Cyberbullying became a negative result of Sarahah’s popularity, which is common for many social media outlets once they spike in usage. The anonymity of being able to send someone a message without them knowing it’s you gives people a lot of courage that they would never have in real life. Being anonymous gives people power, but too much power has its drawbacks.

However, some argue that Sarahah is a positive thing because it allows people to give users constructive comments and pleasing compliments. Many find it fun, and sometimes addicting, to see what people think about them.

Despite its fluctuating support, it’s hard not to argue that Sarahah was a huge part of our social media lives. Like all sudden, explosive trends, Sarahah is dying down. And this trend’s end may not be so devastating.

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
The Trend That’s Come to an End