The Cougar Crier

How to Fall into Fall Property

Alexis Krayevsky, Editor

As most Americans know, fall is a season of Thanksgiving, warm sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes, and of course artsy pictures in the leaves. Fall consists of many new trends created by people across the United States. However, have you ever wondered where some of these traditions originated?

One of the big trends during the fall is the pumpkin spice blend. The first pumpkin spice blend dates all the way back to 1796, but it only began to gain popularity in the 1990s. The pumpkin spice trend is still going strong and many people enjoy this delicious flavor during the Fall season. This pumpkin spice trend gained most of its popularity from Starbucks’ pumpkin spice latte, which millions of Americans consume during the Fall season. There are many different ways to use pumpkin spice. For example, some of these include spice dog treats, pumpkin spice dog and cat shampoo, pumpkin spice hummus, conditioner, and pumpkin spice flavored meats such as sausage.

Another fall trend is a hat called a beanie. Beanies were originally created for the lower, or working class to help keep their hair back without a brim blocking their view. Beanies were created in America, but began to gain popularity in England.  These hats were named the dink, or dinky. Around the 1950s beanies were also worn by freshmen college students as a way to signify that they were a lower classmen. In the 80s and 90s, beanies began to gain popularity as a fashion trend.

Without flannels, fall would not be the same. Flannels date back to the 17th century. Created in Europe, the flannel was created to better protect people during the winter season. It is not known exactly who named the flannel but the french referred to it as a flanelle, and the germans referred to it as a flanell. The durability and affordability of a flannel quickly made it popular across Europe. Flannels did not reach America until the 19th century. Flannels were used in the Civil War by the soldiers because it is made with cheap materials that are warm. A flannel’s association with construction and frontiersmen made it a symbol of rugged men.  Also, the fabric was revived during WWI to be worn as undershirts for soldiers.  After the war, flannels began to be used in more sophisticated attire. For example in the 1950s the rise in popularity of grey flannel suits became very popular among businessmen. Flannels then returned around the 90s being associated with grunge music. They became a symbol of anti-conformity. Today flannels could be worn as everyday items and are used by many high fashion brands including Tommy Hilfiger, Dior, Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton, and Valentino.

Many modern trends in the United States did not begin in the present day. All these trends are not only very popular in the Fall season, but also in the Winter seasons. New and different varieties of each trend are being created and adapted to keep up with the modern times. Because of social media, trends are growing and spreading faster than ever.

• How to Fall into Fall Property

Opinion

What Role Does Feminism Play in Our Society Today?

• How to Fall into Fall Property

Pop Culture

We Love Love, Simon

• Pop Culture

American Idol Comeback

• How to Fall into Fall Property

World News

#NeverForget

• Cougar News

There Were Some Rumors in the Town…

• Cougar News

Class Night

• Pop Culture

Wonder: A Story that Lives Up to its Title

• Pop Culture

Want to Win a Jet Ski?

• How to Fall into Fall Property

World News

Cryptocurrency: Bitcoin

• Pop Culture

The Three Big Game Names

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
How to Fall into Fall Property