The Cougar Crier

Filed under Pop Culture

The Latest Video Game News

In terms of releases, quality, and quantity, critics argue that 2017 has surpassed and outranked 2016. According to recently released and future titles that hold absurd amounts of promise, it is understandable to see why some feel this way. From the neat, fleshed-out themes and concepts of the lesser-known indie studios, to the breathtaking graphics and gameplay from recent Triple-A titles, 2017 shows no signs of slowing down in terms of quality.

During Microsoft’s conference at this year’s E3, multiple announcements for the near and distant future of Xbox titles were announced. These include the announcement of games such as “Star Wars: Battlefront II,” “Dragon Ball FighterZ,” and “Cuphead,” which are all compatible with the Xbox One as well as the newly announced Xbox One X. This new system is able to render games with 4K graphics, making it the single most powerful console in the industry thus far. Additionally, the console has full backwards compatibility with every single Microsoft gaming console. In other words, it has the ability to play games from the original Xbox, the Xbox 360, and the Xbox One. Besides these titles, another noteworthy title is “Ori and The Will of the Wisps,” which is a sequel to the widely acclaimed title “Ori and the Blind Forest.” This series is well known for having a unique, hand-drawn art style with a rich color palette, precise details, and pleasant pieces of music. No release date was announced, but even still, fans of the 2D platforming genre are sure to be waiting in eager anticipation.

As for Sony and the PlayStation 4, many games were announced, some of which are available for purchase today. Such games include “Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite,” “God of War (2018),” “Detroit: Become Human,” and a remake of the popular PS2 game, “Shadow of the Colossus.” Players who look for a more open-world game have a new game to look forward to in the form of “Spider-Man (2018).” Developed by Insomniac Games, the studio behind many fan-favorites in Sony’s extensive library, it is not quite what many fans speculated when footage was first shown off. For starters, it is not a tie-in with the recent film, “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” but rather an entirely new experience. As to be expected from any PS4 game, the graphics are top-notch. The gameplay is action-packed while still giving players the freedom of exploring New York City, where this game is set. This game needs some more time in development, according to Insomniac, that has scheduled the game’s release for 2018.

This March, the Nintendo Switch was released, which advertised the ingenious idea of creating well-developed console games while still making them portable. Although many of the games in the Switch’s library are playable on other consoles, the games exclusively created by Nintendo themselves have been met with jaw-dropping praise. One of the most anticipated, exciting titles set to be released in October is “Super Mario Odyssey.” This title was also announced at E3 and during Nintendo Directs, where multiple games were shown for the Nintendo Switch and 3DS consoles. This game takes a far more open-world approach than ever before seen in the franchise, as players attempt to fuel their starship with special Moon Sprites to reach new locations. Gameplay wise, it retains all of the unique options from titles on the Nintendo 64 and GameCube, while adding entirely new elements, such as customizable characters. Visually speaking, it retains the colorful visuals that do their best to advertise a friendly and inviting nature to players of all ages. “Super Mario Odyssey” has been released to the masses on the October 27th with perfect scores from many reviewers.

As the times progress, so does technology. The skill of developers is also subject to improvement, which is reflected in the current state of video games. Although many are still skeptical of the changes to come sooner than expected, there is no shortage of optimism and promise that most gamers hold for recent times.

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
The Latest Video Game News