The Cougar Crier

Filed under Sports

A Season for the Ages

Senior Captain Josh Kaplan leaps into action against Great Neck.

This fall has been a Kennedy sports season for the ages, with teams excelling in almost every sport. This season, both our boys’ and girls’ soccer teams, football team, boys’ and girls’ volleyball teams and boys’ badminton team all made the playoffs. Through great coaching and playing, Kennedy sports have taken a huge leap this fall, and things continue to look up for next year.

Our boys soccer team advanced to the “Elite Eight” in all of Nassau County this year before losing a third-round playoff game against Garden City by penalty kicks– allowing Garden City to go on and win the county Championship. This year, however, the Cougars were lead by team captains Matt Kaufman and Chris Mousavi, both pushing the team to get better everyday. Their season started with a heartbreaking loss to Sewanhaka, but after that loss they went on an inspiring run, only losing two more games for the rest of the season. This winning run was lead by Matt Kaufman, who brought intensity to every game and was a great leader for the team. Kennedy girls soccer also had a great season, finishing 7-6-2 before falling to Cold Spring Harbor in the playoffs. The team was led by great play from captain Rose Mehani, Chloe Demetriades, Isabella Infuso and many more. The team won many tough games and had a fantastic all around season.

The boys volleyball team continued their tradition of excellence this year with a 16-3 record to make the playoffs again, and competed in the New York state Championship; however, they finished in second place after losing in the championship in a 5 game thriller to Eden High School. The team was led by coach Dennis Ringel, who continues to shape the team State Championship Contenders year after year. The team was captained by seniors Josh Kaplan, Steve Carlson, and Andrew Celauro. These three players have led the team on and off the court and prepared the team for their playoff run. Junior Tyler Anderson was ranked among the players with the most kills in all of Nassau, with 77 kills this season. The girls volleyball team finished their year with a record of six wins and six losses, led by seniors Rachel Katz, Danielle Slevin, and Julia Angrisani.

Kennedy’s football team had another great season, going 4 and 4. The boys battled through and lost a couple of very close games that could have gone either way. The team won an extremely Valley Stream Central, winning on a last-second field goal by kicker Chris Mousavi. This win helped push them into playoffs for the second consecutive year. Team leaders Jason Coules and Zach “Diddy” Rothblut led the team to the playoffs. Lineman Ben Birke brought intensity to every game and helped hype the team up for every play. Unfortunately, the team lost to a stellar Garden City team in the first round of playoffs. The team has a lot of young players and is expected to have another good season next year.

Boys badminton had a historic year with Matt Schwartz and Justin Unterberg receiving All Country Awards for their performance.Players Brandon Styble, Robert Silva, Justin Unterberg, Matt Schwartz, Brett Klein, and Matt Arlovski all made the all country tournament.  The team finished 6 and 9, facing a very tough schedule throughout the season. The team made it to the semifinals in playoffs and had one of the best years in program history. Girls tennis had a good season but unfortunately fell short of playoffs. The team played hard every game and showed great improvement and teamwork throughout the season. Senior leader Amanda Gudowitz helped lead the team and played amazing throughout the season.

This was a great fall season for all Kennedy sports. Many teams reached the playoffs and every team shower heart and teamwork throughout the season. Hopefully this is a preview for the winter season.

• A Season for the Ages

Cougar News

Cougars Roar in Another Spirit Week

• A Season for the Ages

Opinion

What Role Does Feminism Play in Our Society Today?

• A Season for the Ages

Pop Culture

We Love Love, Simon

• Pop Culture

American Idol Comeback

• A Season for the Ages

World News

#NeverForget

• Cougar News

There Were Some Rumors in the Town…

• Cougar News

Class Night

• Pop Culture

Wonder: A Story that Lives Up to its Title

• Pop Culture

Want to Win a Jet Ski?

• A Season for the Ages

World News

Cryptocurrency: Bitcoin

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
A Season for the Ages