The Cougar Crier

Filed under Cougar News

Ladles of Love

On December 18, members of our school community rejoiced at the successful Ladles of Love fundraiser dinner. Many faculty, teachers, students, and parents appeared at the celebration proposed by freshman Student Ambassador Dylan Lipman, who approached Interim Principal Mr. David Seinfeld and Deputy Superintendent Dr. Bollettieri with the idea. A portion of the proceeds from the night went towards the Community Cupboard, our district’s food pantry. The rest was donated in the form of gift cards to Bellmore and Merrick families in need.

“It is important for us – the Kennedy community – to give back.””

— Dylan Lipman

The highlight of the night had to be the food. The students of C.H.A.M.P., Kennedy’s culinary program, cooked and served up a variety of dishes from their professional, state-of-the-art kitchen. Dishes included Caesar salad, chicken parmesan, various pasta dishes such as beef stroganoff, and lots more. The best part was the dessert: a delicious apple crumble with vanilla ice cream and Bananas Foster!

But it wasn’t only the cooking students who contributed to the success of the fundraising dinner. Stand-up members of Key Club and Student Government also volunteered their time to help out by serving and hosting. Chamber Orchestra performed some holiday favorites outside of the cafeteria as people walked in, and a few talented band students played in front of the crowd later on as well.

Multiple prize baskets were distributed to raffle winners as well. These baskets had enticing themes, including the Italian basket, which had cooking supplies and recipe books inspired by Italy’s famous cuisine.

In total, the event raised approximately $1,500. Due to its success, Ladles of Love is planned to run in the future with the possibility of being moved closer to Valentine’s Day.

In the words of Dylan Lipman, “It is important for us – the Kennedy community – to give back.”

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
Ladles of Love