The Cougar Crier

Filed under Pop Culture

Wonder: A Story that Lives Up to its Title

Reading Wonder by R.J Palacio in sixth grade opened my eyes to a new way of looking at life: it broadened my idea of “the big picture” and allowed me to realize at a young age how fortunate I am to feel loved and accepted by those around me. While I do believe (or so I thought) in the widely professed notion that a movie simply cannot live up to the book from which it is based on, the movie, Wonder, has markedly changed my mind. August (Auggie) Pullman is an extraordinary young boy who desires what any other 11-year-old would: normality. As he ventures into public school for the first time since being homeschooled for the entirety of his young life, Auggie encounters a new setting that creates situations that challenge his strength with trials such as bullying and abandonment. However, as he meets special individuals and takes the time to get to know them, he realizes that they’re not too different from one another. Yes, they may not look alike, but they all endure unique conflicts that connects them on emotional levels and their shared experiences with adversity. Auggie learns at a young age, with the helpful influence of his parents and teachers, that kindness is what can bring people together regardless of their differences. The movie vividly brought to life exactly what I interpreted in the novel, with excellent casting that portrayed the characters’ physical and emotional attributes precisely. The inspiring and heartfelt plot shares a reminder to both a young and old audience that love, acceptance, and kindness can have immensely positive impacts on your own life, and possibly without notice, the lives around you.

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School