The Cougar Crier

Filed under Cougar News

Class Night

Class of 2018 claims back-to-back victories

On Thursday, March 1, freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors alike gathered to represent their grades for Class Night 2018! It was an exhilarating event that kept students standing up on their feet for its entirety.

Each of the four classes had a unique theme and a color to represent its members. The freshmen took their theme from the popular ‘90s TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The Fresh Class of Bellmore decorated its portion of the gym with a variety of elements, including graffiti-style posters, stars, and royal crown paintings. They stayed true to their team color of white, but also balanced it out with green and pink to resemble The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’s opening theme. Opposite the freshmen’s quarter of the gym was the blue “Surfs Up Sophs” theme of the 10th graders. Their area of the bleachers was filled with Hawaiian-esque components such as tropical flowers and surfboards.  In the area diagonal the tenth graders, the yellow caution tape and black decorations of the juniors certainly emphasized their criminal theme. The 11th graders’ team color was red, and it popped against the dark colors of their jailhouse setting. Finally, the “Seniors and Señoritas” celebrated their last Kennedy Class Night with a Southwest/Mexican theme. Their bleachers were filled with cactus ornaments,“¡Fiesta!” signs, and balloons representing their class’ color of green.

Class Night was kicked off with the dance competition. The freshmen danced to a remix of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song. They were followed by the sophomores’ performance. The juniors wowed the crowd with their dance to a mix of songs, including Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” and Elvis Presley’s “Jailhouse Rock.” Last but not least, the 12th graders performed to a series of Spanish songs. Among them was the famous summer hit “Despacito.”

The first athletic event at Class Night was the relay race! Multiple members from each grade participated. It involved students circling around a pole, running, scooter-racing, basketball shooting, and even finding a jelly bean in a pie tin of whipped cream. Following the relay were the crab soccer event and a thrilling round of musical chairs won by the seniors. And don’t forget about the intense dodgeball tournament won by the sophomores.

The final results of Class Night may have shocked many crowd members! Sophomores came in fourth, juniors in third, and freshmen in second! Ninth graders coming in second place for Class Night is rare and very impressive. Unsurprisingly, the seniors were the champions of the night by coming in first place! Class Night is an exciting event that brings all Kennedy students together and promotes teamwork and school spirit. Class Night 2018 was no exception!

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
Class Night