The Cougar Crier

Filed under Opinion, Pop Culture

Do You Want to Read a Good Book for the Fall? Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl

Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl. Credit: http://www.btglifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/5.jpg

Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl, a heartfelt novel written by Jesse Andrews, is the story of a friendship of a lifetime that was never supposed to happen. In the book, a high school student named Greg finds out from his mother that one of his childhood friends, Rachel Kushner, was diagnosed with leukemia. Greg’s mother feels bad and suggests that Greg become friends with her. He feels a bit uncomfortable with this idea, but he thinks it would be the right thing to do. Greg and his best friend Earl enjoy making comical films with one another, which is a significant element of the novel. As time goes on, the three of them become closer and closer as friends. The ending is sad and very surprising at the same time. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading humorous books; even though this book is very sad, the author brings in comical parts throughout the story. I loved especially the message that the story brought at the end.

The novel was adapted into a movie that was released on November 19, 2015. Me, Earl and the Dying Girl stars Thomas Mann (who plays Greg Gaines), RJ Cyler (Earl Jackson), and Olivia Cooke (Rachel Kushner). The directors did a fantastic job of adapting all of the great features of the novel into the movie. The actors and actresses also did a great job of fulfilling their roles. This movie was one of the only movies I can say did a great job of showing all of the main features of the book and portraying the characters. If you get the chance this fall, read this fantastic book. When you’re done, watch the movie! It’s the perfect way to relax this season!

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School