The Cougar Crier

Filed under Sports

NHL Bold Predictions

Back to Article
Back to Article

NHL Bold Predictions

It is that time of year again, the start of a new NHL season. I have come up with a list of bold predictions of teams, players, and games that are upon us. Hopefully, it will be a long, eventful season full of excitement.

I believe that Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns will become the league’s best defensive tandem. The Sharks were already a top-tier team before they landed arguably the best defender in the NHL. San Jose has one of the most talented d-corps in the NHL in Erik Karlsson. Karlsson had 62 points with arguably the worst NHL team, the Ottawa Senators. Burns had more with 67 points. The two will be able to assist their leading scorers Logan Couture and Joe Pavelski as well as shutdown opposing offenses.  

The New York Islanders, Arizona Coyotes, and Colorado Avalanche will all make the 2018 postseason. All but the Colorado Avalanche missed the playoffs last year. However, all these teams have strong, young core players such as Clayton Keller, Alex Galeychuke, Mathew Barzal, Nathan Mackinnon, and Gabriel Landeskog. Arizona plays in a weak Pacific Division and can make some noise there. Barzal can light up after his unbelievable season with the Islanders. In addition, the Avalanche have a number of solid offensive and defensive players.

The Chicago Blackhawks didn’t finish at what they hoped for last season. I believe they will not rebound from last season. Chicago finished with a last-place finish in the regular season in 2017-18. This is because their ownership could not spend on any additions to plug holes in the lineup. This caused these holes in offense and defense to be further exposed. Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane weren’t enough last season to lead them to success. With virtually the same lineup going into 2018-19 there is no reason to believe anything will change significantly in the Windy City.

Lastly, I believe the Nashville Predators will win the Stanley Cup. However, it is not going to be easy for them the Jets are a force to be reckoned in the Western Conference. The Capitals are poised to repeat. The Lightning are ready to win their first championship since 2004. However, the Predators won’t win it all because they are necessarily better than the teams above- they simply have the grit and experience to win sixteen games in the playoffs. Tampa has that too, but after losing the 2017 finals mainly because of a controversial no-goal, the Preds have more of a chip on their shoulder than their counterpart. P.K Subban and Ryan Ellis are still a solid defensive pair and Filip Forsberg can light up the scoreboard. On top of all of that with Pekka Rinne still playing excellent goaltending in his late 30s, Music City just might come out on top of the hockey world. The question still remains, who will hoist the cup next June?

• NHL Bold Predictions

Pop Culture

Loot Boxes and Governmental Opposition to “Video Game Gambling”

• NHL Bold Predictions

Sports

Nike features Kaepernick in “Just Do It” Campaign Ad

• Opinion

Do You Want to Read a Good Book for the Fall? Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl

• NHL Bold Predictions

Cougar News

JFK Homecoming 2018

• NHL Bold Predictions

Pop Culture

Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

• NHL Bold Predictions

Pop Culture

The Three Big Game Names

• NHL Bold Predictions

Cougar News

Kennedy Named School of Distinction for Second Year in a Row

• Cougar News

Kennedy Courts Have Gone Turf

• NHL Bold Predictions

Cougar News

Welcome to the 2018-2019 School Year!

• NHL Bold Predictions

Opinion

What Role Does Feminism Play in Our Society Today?

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
NHL Bold Predictions