Valdictorian and Salutatorian

Valedictorian and Salutatorian – terms given to students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement during their four years in high school. I would like to congratulate the valedictorian and salutatorian of the 2020 school year at the John F. Kennedy High School. Katherine St George is our valedictorian and Madeline Jutsen is our salutatorian. 

The tradition of selecting a valedictorian dates back to 1772. To be a valedictorian or 1st in your class, a student must excel in their classes; however, Katherine St George is so much more than just a GPA. A brilliant student, and even a kinder person, Katherine possesses a love for learning, and an innate drive to succeed. She is president of the H.O.P.E. club and helped organize Camans pond cleanup. Katherine is also president of the school’s GSA club. When asked about her future endeavors, living up to her “most likely to become a billionaire” superlative, she responded with “billionaire and “friend”. Katherine, a gifted math student, took BC Calculus her junior year and is now taking college classes to advance her math knowledge. She advises her fellow students to “work hard to ball hard.” Similar to JFK’s former Valedictorian and Salutatorian Jordan and Whitney, Katherine said her dream destination is Brisbane Australia. Congratulations and good luck again Katherine in college.

Madeline Jutsen, another incredible Kennedy student, is truly a model student and well deserved of her Salutatorian position. An incredibly bright and good-natured person, Madeline is hard-working and enjoys advancing her knowledge. She is passionate about music and commits her Fridays to jazz band playing the trumpet. In college Madeline plans to major in economics with hopes of pursuing a career in law. When asked about her dream destination, she responded that she would “like to visit Australia” because her “family lives there.” Her words of advice for other Kennedy students are to “follow their path.” You have done an amazing job Madeline and we wish you good luck in your future endeavors!

Both Katherine and Madeline are prime examples of what it means to be a Kennedy student. These amazing accomplishments will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Such achievements reflect the excellent contributions provided by all the educators and faculty at John F. Kennedy. The Bellmore-Merrick community provides an incredible education for their students, and Katherine and Madeline are just two of the many students who represent JFK’s successes. As John. F Kennedy once said, “Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.” Like our two honorees, we all possess amazing potential and a bright future. As the year of perfect vision, the class of 2020 holds no cap for success. John F. Kennedy, our soon to be alma mater is filled with our beloved morning announcements, a bell that rings one minute late, and endless amounts of support and love from our amazing teachers and faculty. May we all strive to be as hard-working and passionate as our two students recognized as valedictorian and salutatorian.Vae