The Cougar Crier

Filed under Sports

Going for Gold

Recounting the Highlights of the Pyeyongchang Olympic Games

Sergeant+Emily+Sweeney%2C+one+of+seven+U.S.+soldiers+to+compete+in+this+year%27s+games%2C+competed+in+singles+luge.+
Sergeant Emily Sweeney, one of seven U.S. soldiers to compete in this year's games, competed in singles luge.

Photo by Spc. Jennily Leon, used with permission

The Olympics are a time when a country’s nationalism and pride comes out during friendly competition. The Winter Olympics have come, and it’s time for athletes all around the world to compete for gold medals. This year the Winter Olympics were located in Pyeongchang, South Korea, with a total number of 12 sports, including bobsledding, freestyle skiing, ice hockey, short track, speed skating, biathlon, curling, snowboarding, luge, figure skating, ski jump, and alpine skiing.

As for the medals, Norway was victorious with a total of 39 medals. Germany placed second with 31, Canada came in third with 29, and lastly the U.S. finished fourth with a total of 23 medals. The U.S. received 9 gold medals, 8 silver medals, and 6 bronze medals. We earned our first gold medal in men’s slopestyle by 17-year-old Red Gerard. Our second gold medal was won by 27-year-old Jamie Anderson in women’s slopestyle, followed by 17-year-old Chloe Kim in women’s halfpipe snowboarding, which made Kim the youngest woman to win an Olympic snowboarding medal. Shaun White, 31-years-old, won his third gold medal in men’s halfpipe snowboarding and redeemed himself after losing in the Sochi Olympics in 2014. White holds the record for most Olympic medals won by a snowboarder. Mikaela Shiffrin brought home the fifth gold medal in women’s giant slalom alpine skiing, followed by Jessie Diggins, 26, and Kikkan Randall, 35, for women’s cross-country team sprint free. David Weiss received the 7th gold medal for men’s halfpipe freeskiing, and the U.S women’s hockey team beat Canada and took gold for the first time since 1998. Our ninth gold medal was from the U.S men’s curling, for which we won our first ever gold medal in the sport.

Although this Olympics has ended, the next Summer Olympics will be hosted in Tokyo in 2020. The next Winter Olympics will take place in 2022 in Beijing, followed by the 2024 Summer Olympics, held in Paris. The location for the 2026 Winter Olympics is still undecided, but the 2028 Summer Olympics are coming to the U.S and will be held in Los Angeles, California. As the Olympics have now concluded, athletes are coming back home as champions and back to train for their next Olympics.

• Opinion

Do You Want to Read a Good Book for the Fall? Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl

• Going for Gold

Cougar News

JFK Homecoming 2018

• Going for Gold

Pop Culture

Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

• Going for Gold

Pop Culture

The Three Big Game Names

• Going for Gold

Cougar News

Kennedy Named School of Distinction for Second Year in a Row

• Cougar News

Kennedy Courts Have Gone Turf

• Going for Gold

Cougar News

Welcome to the 2018-2019 School Year!

• Going for Gold

Opinion

What Role Does Feminism Play in Our Society Today?

• Going for Gold

Pop Culture

We Love Love, Simon

• Pop Culture

American Idol Comeback

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
Going for Gold