The Cougar Crier

Filed under Pop Culture

Want to Win a Jet Ski?

The Oscars 2018

On March 4th, 2018 the highly anticipated Oscars took place.  This was the 90th Academy Awards, and they were certainly full of memorable events.

Firstly, they were hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, the late-night talk show host.  This was his second consecutive year hosting The Oscars, so he was prepared to deliver one of the best monologues in Oscars history.  His monologue was full of jokes from last year’s Academy Awards. During the 2017 Oscars, presenter Faye Dunaway mistakenly announced La La Land! as the best motion picture; however, the actual winner was the production Moonlight.  Kimmel amongst other presenters at the Academy Awards used this funny and memorable event as a point of humor throughout the night.  

As the night went on, several actors and actresses gave thoughtful speeches.  One of the most regarded speeches given was by Frances McDormand, who won an Oscar for Best Actress in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.  McDormand delivered a heartfelt and emotional speech about women in the filmmaking industry, and the progress that has been made.  For example, the 2018 Oscars were particularly progressive in terms of women, being that women nominations were announced in categories usually dominated by men, such as best director and best cinematographer. However, progress still has to be made.  At the conclusion of her speech, Frances McDormand left the audience and viewers with one phrase: inclusion rider. This saying refers to a clause that can be placed in contracts in order to ensure diversity in film. McDormand was trying to spread the word about this important concept by using this phrase.  

On a lighter note, Sam Rockwell from Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri started his speech for winning best supporting actor with an anecdote about his childhood.  He stated that his dad had picked him up from school when he was 8, claiming that there was an emergency with his grandma.  Rockwell nervously got into the car and asked what was wrong, only to come to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with his grandma, and that his dad picked him up to go to the movies.  He then exclaimed that he wanted to thank his parents for their love of movies that inspired him to become an actor. This funny sentiment showcased how something as miniscule as going to the movies one time can inspire a person to a great extent.

From cracking jokes to addressing important political concepts, the 2018 Academy Awards were definitely one for the books.

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
Want to Win a Jet Ski?