The Cougar Crier

Filed under Pop Culture

Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Photo by https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-drops-donuts-but-invented-word-2018-9

Dunkin’ minus the donuts.

In September of 2018, a single event occurred that changed the world as we know it. Our favorite donut and coffee franchise broke the news that it’s tweaking its name.

Starting officially in 2019, Dunkin’ Donuts is dropping the “Donuts” in its name.

This may remind you of another phenomenon that occurred in July of 2018. Breakfast chain IHOP (International House of Pancakes) shocked America by claiming to change its name to “IHOb.” No, it was not for International House of Breakfast; the “B” stood for “burgers”! IHOP’s (unofficial) name change was meant to promote the restaurant’s burger menu and some of its new additions to it. Only a few select locations actually changed their signs for this publicity stunt. IHOb is (un)officially back to IHOP now.

Unlike IHOP’s unofficial rebranding for attention, the Dunkin’ Donuts one is real. So why is it dropping the the beloved “Donuts”? Dunkin’ wants to focus less on its donuts and more on its beverages. This goal of theirs isn’t new to consumers; around 10% of the menu was cut in January of 2018, and most of the eliminated items were sandwiches, bagels, and muffins. Another possible motivation for the name change is that Dunkin’ (without the “Donuts”) Brands Group, Inc., is the name of the company that owns Dunkin’ and Baskin-Robbins, an ice cream chain with which many Dunkin’ restaurants share their locations.

In addition, the brand knew already that many people call it “Dunkin’” anyway, so the transition should not be that much of a change for many. Even the slogan is “America Runs on Dunkin’.” However, logos on cups and signs will have to be altered. And the question of whether or not DD Perks, Dunkin’s special rewards program, will have a name change is certainly one to consider.

We should see Dunkin’s rebranding process beginning in January of 2019. And don’t worry: Dunkin’ promises that even though they’re no longer in its name, donuts will be sold still at all of its locations!

• Opinion

Do You Want to Read a Good Book for the Fall? Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Cougar News

JFK Homecoming 2018

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Pop Culture

The Three Big Game Names

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Cougar News

Kennedy Named School of Distinction for Second Year in a Row

• Cougar News

Kennedy Courts Have Gone Turf

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Cougar News

Welcome to the 2018-2019 School Year!

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Opinion

What Role Does Feminism Play in Our Society Today?

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

Pop Culture

We Love Love, Simon

• Pop Culture

American Idol Comeback

• Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name

World News

#NeverForget

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School
Dunkin’ Donuts Changing Their Name